Tuesday, June 30, 2009

TNT packed weekend!

We've had a fun week of team in training!
One thing we are known for is our willingness to go out and party on a weeknight. We are marathoners; when we commit to something we mean business. Coach Ramon wrote in a recent email "If you would put as much effort and commitment to your running as you put to your socializing/drinking/misbehaving, you would all be winning marathons!"




I think he is right.




Anyway, Wednesday night we went to a beautiful venue on 18th and 10th called "The Park." We had the rooftop/penthouse area reserved for team in training, and we could not have asked for a more beautiful night! Fun was had by all :-)


Saturday, instead of having our regular group GTS (Saturdays are long run days) we had a special nutrition clinic, followed by a short fun run (not short enough- we were dripping with sweat after 10 minutes!), followed by a "Connection to the Cause" ceremony. During Connection to the Cause, our honorees, those affected by Leukemia and Lymphoma, share their stories to help us really realize what we are running and fundraising for. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.



Which brings me to what I'm running for- my roommate and the most wonderful girl I know, Kate, has had a tough past few months. Her dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March, and mere weeks later, here mother was diagnosed with brain cancer. I hope you will extend your prayers to the strongest family I know. Even though they do not have a blood cancer, team in training's mission extends beyond that- funds for blood cancer research benefit all cancer research. It really helps me to keep in the McCormicks in mind when running a long run.



Sunday, we had the Achilles foundation "Hope and Possibility" race in the park. It was a 5 mile race, and we couldn't have had more perfect weather. It was our first TNT race, so many people on the team were running their first races ever! It was a very exciting and nervous atmosphere. Nothing makes you want to race like a pack of TNTers cheering you on to the finish line- I wish they could be there for all my runs! My time was OK, nothing like my times last season. In fact, my pace per mile was 42 seconds slower than my first 5 mile race of last season. But I FELT good at the end, and that's all that matters. Baby-steps. I will get there, this season is definitely long enough.
Tonight we had practice in the rain! We were originally going to do a hill workout in the trails of the park. However, because of the rain and slip factor, Ramon gave us all the choice to run either a 4, 5, or 6 mile loop. I ran with our mentor captain, Antonella, who ran with me last season, and has been having the same kinds of running doubts that I have had recently. We ran a leisurely 5-miler, finishing the run with my go-to coach, Sandy. We will definitely be running together again, hopefully not in this monsoon weather we had tonight though.
Finished off the night with Shake Shack with my new mentee, Christy. Can't think of a better end to the night than a Shack burger to ruin all the calories I just burned!

No comments:

Post a Comment