Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crossfit NYC

Happy New Year!

The beginning of each year (decade in this case!) always brings many hopeful resolutions, and therefore, an increased number of gym-goers. I don't think I have ever kept a new years resolution- the motivation of "it's a new year" is simply not enough for me to change my set habits and mindsets. Generally, I do not like to do things on my own. I am lazy. When I wanted to get in shape, I got a personal trainer. When I impulsively decided to run a marathon, I joined the group "Team in Training." Now that I have neither, I have joined a new group to get me to the next fitness level: Crossfit.

I have reviewed Crossfit on this blog before (a free beginners class to let you know what the workout is all about). It is known about being the most intense and efficient workout you can do. I have recently completed the "elements workout" (a series of 6 small classes spread out over 3 weeks), which taught me how to safely and efficiently do the crossfit workouts correctly. Crossfit has a different "workout of the day" (WOD) each day which is meant to be a total body challenge for everyone and anyone- no matter how "fit" you are. The creators of crossfit wanted a functional and intense workout to lead to the most efficient results possible. With successful completion of the elements workout, I received 2 weeks of unlimited "WODs" (which are small classes supervised by qualified crossfit trainers). I am embarrassed to admit that I have not taken full advantage of those unlimited two weeks. Because this is the fastest way to get in shape, it is inevitable that the people who work out here are VERY in shape. It is intimdating. and HARD. It is really hard to make yourself workout somewhere when it is a) out of your way b) really painful and c) you're the worst one there! Fortunately, all the trainers and members create a very close knit and supportive group I feel like I could become a part of. I just need to force myself to step past my boundaries and do something really good for my body. I will definitely renew my contract when my 2 weeks are over and go more often!

The trainers at crossfit also encourage the "paleo diet." The concept is to eat like the cavemen ate- before the agricultural revolution. So no grains, no legumes, no dairy, no sweets. Lots of lean meat and veggies. The maximum amount of nutrients for the least amount of calories.

According to Crossfit, this is Fitness in 100 Words 2.0
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Sprint and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Sprint, jump and compete hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Lift heavy weights often. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and dominate a sport.

Again, sorry for the infrequent posting! I will be more attentive, I promise :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment